Liebster Blog Award
Thank you, alliblair, who has nominated me for a Liebster Blog Award! I’m stealing the description from you since I’ve actually never heard of this until you nominated me:
German for “favourite,” I was very flattered and excited to learn that it is an award for recognizing fellow bloggers in the blogging community! Along with all the fun in being nominated and discovering awesome blogs, the award comes with some simple homework:
- Share 11 random facts about yourself
- Answer the 11 questions from the person who nominated you
- Nominate 11 new bloggers and ask them 11 questions
My Random Facts:
- Sometimes I get so excited that people think I’m joking and exaggerating, but I’m not. I’m actually that hyper and excited (Alli, I had to leave this one as my #1– I’m not plagiarizing, but I just couldn’t believe how spot-on this was with my personality. Soul sisters!)
- I memorized and recited all of Hermione Granger’s lines in Harry Potter & the Sorcerer’s Stone and Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets (film versions). I even have a special notebook where I WROTE all the lines down. I must have had a lot of spare time on my hands when I was 11 and 12…
- I always have had, and always will have, a large, never-ending imagination.
- I’ve set many life goals and dreams for myself and have accomplished numerous ones already. I never let anything or anyone get in the way of my dreams!
- Most disgusting (yet memorably hilarious) story about me: I threw up in line for Soarin’ Over California (an attraction at Disney California Adventure Park) since a chocolate martini and laughter made me sick. How’s that for checking that one off a bucket list?!
- I’m a true nerd, through and through– from books to films to listening to film scores to Comic-Con (and so much more).
- I love, love, LOVE to meet new, open-minded, well-traveled people.
- I don’t want kids– I just want animals. Mainly, a dog.
- I am atrocious at sports, but I always try to play, since I want to at least make an effort!
- I can break into funny accents and do weird animal noises whenever I feel like it.
- I’m all about challenges and risks in life. They shape me into an even stronger individual than I was before.
My 11 Answers for Alli:
- What is your favorite part upon returning home after your travels?
Looking at all my photos– my favorite ones are those with my friends who photobombed successfully.
2. What was the funniest thing you have ever seen while traveling?
As sad as this sounds, it was a Japanese man who tripped on a curb in Shibuya. He wasn’t hurt thankfully, but he made this hilarious sound that my cousins and I recreated throughout the trip. We’ll remember that dude forever as a result. (I’m one of those people that laughs if someone eats it…. )
3. Do you prefer traveling alone or with some company?
Never traveled alone, but I will be in October! Both have their upsides and downsides, but I’m looking forward to traveling alone for awhile in NZ since it’ll give me the quietude I need AND force me to meet new people without being constantly attached to someone (or at the wills of their agenda).
4. What are the best and worst foods you’ve had while traveling overseas?
Best: All the desserts in Tokyo! So many bakeries…
Worst: The airplane food on Delta Airlines coming back from Tokyo. I guess this doesn’t count, but I didn’t really have any disgusting food IN Tokyo, so I couldn’t think of anything else.
- Have you ever had a romantic encounter abroad?
Nope, but hoping to! NZ and Oz seem like perfect places to meet new friends… 😉 And did I mention that I’m not into Asians at all? HAHA.
- What is a moment you were absolutely speechless because of the sight in front of you?
On the 45th floor of the government building in Tokyo and seeing spans of buildings and land that didn’t seem to end. It was awe, disbelief that everything was even more than LA and NYC put together, and pure amazement that I was in another country for the first time.
- Have you ever been really embarrassed or misunderstood while traveling?
Totally. Especially when I fell into this girl’s lap on the Tokyo subway when it lurched forward and I remarked, “Oh shit! Sorry sorry! I mean, gomen!”
- Have you ever participated in a cultural festival in a particular country? If no, which one would you like to be a part of?
No, but I’d love to be a part of any and all cultural festivals in NZ and Oz (or any country, for that matter)!
- Do you speak any other languages? If no, which ones would you want to learn?
Extreme novice at Japanese. I’d like to learn French, Spanish, and Italian.
- What is your biggest travel faux-pas?
Someone who is selfish, close-minded to trying new things (foods, cultural practices, etc.), bossy, always wants to nap, and set in their ways. Can’t STAND anyone like that, and the likelihood of me sticking around with you as a friend is highly unlikely if you’re like this. Why bother traveling if you’re like this?!
- What are some of your unique quirks that either help or hinder you on your travels?
I’m loud, outgoing, highly energetic/spontaneous/weird, extremely curious, a bit ADHD-type, and very sociable/talkative. This could hinder me while traveling since many don’t like (or aren’t accustomed to) very bubbly, happy people like myself. I already had a taste of this in Tokyo– my loud, booming voice and laugh could probably be heard miles away even through all the seas of people. I don’t thrive well in quiet, silent settings when traveling.
My 11 Questions for my Nominees:
- Why do you love traveling? Be as long or brief as you’d like.
- What relaxes you (or sets you at ease) while traveling to a new place?
- Who is one individual that you’ve met while traveling who has impacted your life positively?
- How did you become so enthralled with traveling in the first place?
- What are some musical influences from other countries that you have adopted?
- What was the craziest thing you’ve done while in another country?
- What are some of your personal attributes that have helped you in your travels?
- Who is your childhood hero, and if you could pick one destination to meet them in, where would it be?
- Do you have a personal life motto?
- What is your biggest travel faux-pas?
- Which books, if any, inspired you to travel?
My 11 Nominees:
- Quinn & Jonathon: Life Out of the Box
- Ailsa: Where’s My Backpack?
- James & Terri: Gallivance
- Emily: Emily’s Journeys Abroad
- Damian: The World Through Kiwi-Coloured Glasses
- Lesley: Bucket List Publications
- Jamie: Jamie’s Dailies
- Swim and Staci Ann: Beyond the Diploma
- Amanda: Amanda’s Next Adventure
- Brick: Brick Thomas’s Blog
- Steve: Around the World with Steve
Secret nomination: MY BFF, Jenn. I know your blog is set on private, but if I could give a million of these awards, I would. Thanks for always being here for me!
Alli: I LOVE YOU and your amazing travel blog! You inspire me in so many ways. Thanks again and WRITE on! 🙂